The DOIDY CUP offers a unique slant on baby weaning and open cup training. The two-handled Doidy Cup has been scientifically designed with a unique slant in order to teach infants to drink from a rim, rather than from a spout or a teathed bottle. Health Professionals, and leading health organizations such as The British Dietetic Association are active in recommending the introduction of an open cup at around 6 months. They also discourage the use of a bottle by 12 months.
DOIDY Cup is manufactured in the UK from food safe materials. You can start with a small amount of liquid, until your baby become skilled at drinking from it. This early training avoids problems teated cups or bottles may cause. Breastfed babies from 3 – 4 months of age can go straight to a DOIDY Cup, there is no need to use a bottle in the weaning process. Bottle fed babies from the age of 6 months or earlier should be introduced to drinking from the DOIDY. The use of a bottle is discouraged after the age of 12 months.
WHY BABIES NEED TO LEARN TO DRINK FROM A DOIDY CUP?
In their early months, babies have natural sucking reflex and breastfeeding or feeding on a bottle is very comforting to them. As babies grow, they need to learn to make different movements with their mouths that will help them to eat and speak properly. That’s why moving from a bottle to a cup is so important. Drinking from the DOIDY Cup encourages good oral movement and helps to develop chewing skills as the jaw, tongue and mouth muscles are used. It also helps with hand, eye coordination. Doidy cup makes movement natural, therefore it is easy to wean them from the breast or bottle.
- Baby is able to self-decide on the speed and the quantity of drinking;
- Fluid is seen inside the cup. The sloping design allows a more natural upward and downward motion of the hands and arms.
- Takes the drinking learning process naturally by using the same jaw movements as with sucking mother’s breast;
- Learns not only how to drink from a rim of a cup instead of a bottle or a non-spill cup, but also how to put it away after drinking;
- Trains jaw, face and tongue muscles, which is so advantageous for the correct both chewing, and, in the long run, speaking advancement;
- Easily acquires the new, very enjoyable skill which encourages it to further unassisted experiences.
- Children are less likely to overfeed
- Includes FREE weaning guide
- Can be sterilized and is dishwasher safe (top shelf), freezer proof and microwave safe. *Warning – microwave liquids can result in “hot spots” and are not advised for children’s drinks)
- Speech Therapists use the DOIDY Cup to teach lip and tongue control
- 200ml Capacity
- Available in 17 colors including a solid, pearlized and sparkle finish.
- BPA FREE, made of non-toxic food safe HD Polyethylene #2 plastic, made in Scotland, UK. Imported. Conforms to EN 14350 regulations. Doidy Cups are fully recyclable.
HOW TO ASSIST THE CHILD IN SELF-RELIANT DRINKING FROM THE DOIDY CUP?
- The child should be able to self-regulate the drinking pace. It is recommended
that there isn’t much liquid inside the cup.
While holding the cup at the bottom, place the rim on the lower lip and tip it slightly so that the child takes only what it wants.
- Don’t worry about spillage, remember that is the way the child learns. This is why it is advised to pour in only small amounts of liquids and to fill up the cup as necessary.
- At 6 months, you can already see their first single-handed drinking attempts, therefore, they are easily accustomed to drinking from the DOIDY Cups.
- Never leave the child unattended when drinking from the DOIDY Cup
- Make sure drinks you serve are temperature-checked. Neither too hot nor too cold.
- Never microwave drinks in the DOIDY Cup
DOIDY CUP HYGIENE AND CLEANING
- Make sure you wash the DOIDY Cup carefully before each use.
- DOIDY Cup can be sterilized (cold, steam, microwave, in the sterilizer) and cleaned in the dishwasher.
For almost 70 years the Doidy Cup has been helping children learn to drink from an open cup. Doidy Cups are sold by the National Childbirth Trust (NCT).
Health Professionals including Health Visitors, Dietitians, Dental Professionals and Speech Therapists recommend Doidy Cups for easier weaning but also to help prevent long-term health problems caused by delayed weaning from the bottle.